Monday, February 28, 2011

Life As We Knew It

Tonight is a book discussion of the popular teen book Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer.  Come join us at 7 pm in the Cooperman Room for snacks and LAWKI jeopardy!  While you're waiting, check out my review for the book.

What's It All About?
Miranda is a normal teenage girl, looking forward to a summer that will be filled swimming, her college brother's homecoming, and a visit with her dad and stepmom...until a meteor hits the moon and pushes it closer to earth.  Suddenly tides are stronger and people are panicking.  And that's just the beginning!

Awesome Things in the Book
This book sucks you in!  I really felt like I was living in Miranda's world.  I wanted to know what was going to happen next so much that even though this was a re-read for me, I couldn't put it down!

Not-so-awesome Things
This book sucks you in...which means you kind of feel like you're experiencing the horrible disaster too.  Certain foods will start to feel like a real treat, and anytime the moon seems larger than normal, you'll want to check the news to make sure it hasn't been hit by a meteor.

Most Memorable Scene
The massive shopping spree.  Miranda's mom was so calm and organized for that situation.  Would you have known what to buy?

Cover Art
Love it!  The size of the moon is perfect and definitely drew my attention to read this.

Dream Cast
Since Miranda's the main character, I could visualize her easiest while reading.  If this book were going to be made into a movie, I'd cast Alexis Bledel from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Gilmore Girls.  I think she could handle being thrown into a disaster.

What do YOU think?  Did you like this book?  What's your favorite part?  Who would you cast in a movie version?  Share your ideas in the comments!

No comments: